Personal Finance Insider writes about products, strategies, and tips to help you make smart decisions with your money. We may receive a small commission from our partners, such as American Express, but our reports and recommendations are always independent and objective. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Read our editorial standards.
- Voyager is a mobile crypto broker that allows you to trade more than 60 cryptocurrencies.
- The app also offers benefits rewards, and institutional clients can take advantage of several crypto services.
- You will only need $10 to trade assets like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and Dogecoin.
- Click here to create an account with Voyager.
Is Voyager Right For You?
Founded in 2017, Voyager is a mobile crypto broker offering commission-free trading on over 60 cryptocurrencies, with crypto services for individuals and institutions.
The crypto application also allows you to earn monthly interest payments to maintain minimum balances of various cryptocurrencies, institutional clients have access to order execution,
and guard services.
Voyager crypto app is available on iOS and Android devices.
Not sure if Voyager is right for you? Keep reading to see how it stacks up against other crypto platforms.
How does Voyager compare?
Voyager, Gemini, and Kraken all have the following in common: huge crypto selections, low minimums, interest or bets bonuses, and enterprise crypto services. But the fees differ for each platform.
Voyager is the least expensive of the three, but Voyager and Gemini don’t give you access to margin accounts or trade futures (futures are contracts that give you the right to buy or sell an asset at a certain price on an upcoming date) like the Kraken does.
If you’re still interested in subscribing to Voyager, keep reading to see how it works.
Ways to invest with Voyager
You only need $10 to trade cryptocurrency at Voyager. But Voyager is not just an exchange. The company describes itself as a broker that facilitates trading through its routing technology. This means that you will not be able to decide where to execute your trades; Voyager does this for you.
But while you can’t decide how trades will be executed, Voyager says its Smart Order Router connects with more than 12 exchanges and market makers to provide its users with fast order execution at good prices. The app supports bank transfers up to $5,000.
Although Voyager’s cryptocurrency is commission-free, the app earns money (known as “spread fees”) when you save money on an order. Specifically, Voyager says it charges a small fee on the spread when you execute an order at a better price than you, the investor, offered it.
See a full list of Voyager supported coins and crypto assets here.
The useful Voyager program
You can earn interest simply by maintaining a minimum monthly balance of some cryptocurrency. Voyager uses average daily holdings to calculate interest, and interest is paid on the fifth of every month.
The crypto broker offers benefit options for many different assets. For example, these are the September prices for some of the crypto assets that the interest program supports:
- US dollar currency: 9% for 100 minimum monthly balance in USD
- Bitcoin: 5.75% min 0.01 of your monthly bitcoin balance
- Ethereum: 4.6% with a minimum of 0.5 of the monthly Ethereum balance
- Dogecoin: 2% over 1,000 minimum monthly Dogecoin balance
- Litecoin: 5% minimum of 2% of your monthly Litecoin balance
Interest rates change every month, but Voyager announces interest rates in the app. The broker also automatically enrolls investors in their interest program, but you can opt out if you want to.
In addition, they also offer the Voyager Debit Mastercard, which is a card backed by USD currency (a stablecoin that always allows you to redeem 1 USD currency for $1). The card allows you to earn up to 9% of crypto rewards every year. You can register for early access here.
If you are an institutional investor with crypto needs, Voyager offers a range of options. These include:
- Execution platform: Voyager’s fulfillment platform — which it says is powered by the Smart Order Router — strives to provide institutional customers with the best prices and the most efficient order fulfillment, according to its website.
- Liquidity Network: Voyager says its platform gives you access to a network of crypto exchanges, liquidity providers, and over-the-counter (OTC) desks. These services allow you to take advantage of multiple trading options using a single account or wallet.
- Guard suite: You can also choose from multiple security and storage options if you are looking to keep your crypto assets safe.
Voyager Digital Brokerage LTD is owned and operated by Voyager. Learn more here.
Voyager has a limited range of educational support for novice traders. Although the crypto app offers both market news reports and many explanatory blog posts on different crypto topics, it does not offer much to newcomers.
For example, exchanges like eToro and Gemini offer video tutorials and guides on crypto trading, but you’ll basically have access to Voyager’s blog posts and news reports.
Is Voyager trustworthy?
Best Business Bureau ratings typically range from A+ to F, but BBB gave Voyager an NR (“No Rating”) because there was not enough information to issue a rating for the company.
The firm bases its assessments on how well it thinks about the company’s interaction with its clients. It also analyzes other factors, including time in business, type of business, customer complaint history, licensing, government procedures, and more.
Voyager’s record is free from any major lawsuits or scandals. BBB data shows that the crypto app has closed more than 80 complaints in the last 12 months.