- 2021 was the first year that members of Congress bought and sold cryptocurrencies, according to financial statement forms.
- Popular cryptocurrencies traded by Congress include bitcoin, ether, cardano, and others.
- These are the six members of Congress who bought and sold cryptocurrencies in 2021, according to a report by Unusual Whales.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Members of Congress bought and sold cryptocurrencies for the first time ever in 2021, according to a report from Unusual Whales, an organization that compiles and analyzes financial disclosure models.
The trading came as Congress has also begun to introduce potential legislation to regulate cryptocurrency, although nothing significant has passed, and the Securities and Exchange Commission remains the sector’s top regulator.
The list below does not include members of Congress who invest in cryptocurrency exchanges and private brokerages, but only those who directly own the underlying cryptocurrency.
These were the six lawmakers who bought and sold cryptocurrencies in 2021, according to Unusual Whales.
1. Rep. Barry Moore
2021 Crypto Trades: Moore bought up to $45,000 in Cardano and up to $15,000 in Ether.
2. Rep. Mary Newman
2021 Crypto Trades: Newman buys up to $50,000 in Grayscale Bitcoin Trust.
3. Rep. Mark Green
2021 Crypto Trades: Green bought and sold Basic Attention Token, Celo, Dogecoin, Eos, Ethereum Classic, Chainlink and Stellar for amounts ranging from $15,000 to $30,000.
4. Representative Michael Waltz
2021 Crypto Trades: Waltz buys up to $100,000 in Bitcoin.
5. Senator Patrick Tommy
2021 Crypto Trades: Toomey buys up to $15,000 each in Grayscale Bitcoin Trust and Grayscale Ethereum Trust.
6. Senator Cynthia Loomis
2021 Crypto Trades: Lummis buys up to $100,000 in bitcoin.